Wine Lovers Japan News
Wine News around the World, Wine events in Tokyo, Wine party in Tokyo, Wine blog in Tokyo,
Learn about Wines in Tokyo
Sunday, 11 May 2014
5 Wine Facts to Impress Your Wino Friends!
People love to drink
, but how much do we really know about it?
1. A "butt" is a medieval measurement for the liquid volume of wine.
is equivalent to a half "tun," or about 126 gallons.
2. Roman women could be killed for drinking wine.
Women in early Rome were
to drink wine, and a man who caught his wife drinking was legally
allowed to kill her
3. Red and white wine grapes both produce clear juice.
The color of red wine is created by
fermenting the skins
of red grapes, in addition to the juice. Pink wines start like reds, but the skins are removed early in the fermentation process.
4. Soil type has a huge impact on the flavor of wine.
The French science of
was developed to pinpoint the exact climate, topography and soil type best suited for each grape. Legend has it that Benedictine monks even tasted the soil to find ideal planting conditions.
5. Women get drunker on wine than men.
Women's stomachs contain
less of the enzyme
that metabolizes ethanol.
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
Post Comments (Atom)